Prevention & Wellness provides population and community based services in Cuyahoga County and Northeastern Ohio.
Our programs and services aim to improve health status and eliminate differences in health outcomes of people who live, work and play in our communities.
Staff includes nurses, social workers, dietitians, community health educators, case managers and support staff.
Health-related surveillance and analysis
- Child Fatality Review – reviews the causes of death of all children less than 18 years of age in Cuyahoga County and makes recommendations to decrease preventable deaths
- Children Family Health Services Indicator report – health profiles of each neighborhood in Cleveland and suburb in Cuyahoga County.
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey – self-report behavior survey of local teens including sexual practices, tobacco and illicit drug use, and wellness activities.
Link people to services and resources available in our area
- Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps– helps decreases out of pocket costs for families with children with a suspected or diagnosed medical condition.
Low or no-cost safety net services
- Children & Family Health Services– helps pregnant women and children stay healthy
- Clinic Services – flu shots, immunizations, travel clinics and more
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Part A Services
- School-based Dental Sealant Program– free dental sealants for children in 2nd and 6th grades
- Sexual Health Services– STD testing and treatment, pregnancy testing, HIV testing
Outreach services and education to at-risk and difficult to reach populations
- Personal Responsibility and Education Program (PREP)- targets pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection prevention education to youth in the foster care and juvenile justice systems. Ohio PREP also incorporates three adulthood readiness topics (financial literacy, healthy relationships, and educational/career success) to provide 20 well-rounded sessions.
- Prevent Premature Fatherhood– targets pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection prevention education to teenage boys
- Teen Wellness Initiative– sexual education in the Cleveland Municipal School District for 9th and 10th graders and community based pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection prevention
- Welcome Home – newborn home visiting to at-risk families within the first 6 weeks of life
Partner with other professionals and agencies throughout our region
- Immunization Action Plan – works with health care providers to increase the number of children who receive their shots on time.
Promote healthy lifestyles
- School Health– Provides contracted nursing services and wellness activities
- Tobacco-Free Living– provides information about smoking effects, referrals for help to quit smoking, and assistance helping school and work sites develop 100% tobacco-free policies
Shape health policy in our area
- Creating Healthy Communities – helps communities create changes to support healthy lifestyles
- HIP-Cuyahoga or Health Improvement Partnership- Cuyahoga – a community driven process to improve the quality of life for people in Cuyahoga County